Friday, October 22, 2010

Unexpected rewards

I am sitting here in Roma in a place called Moeraki that I had no intention of staying at. This is our view looking out from Roma’s open back doors (the girl has no shame!).
It has been two days of doing things I didn’t plan to do, perhaps because I am nearing the end of this grand adventure!
The weather had turned dirty in Te Anau so instead of heading inland I decided to take the Southern Scenic Route (where the weather was even worse!) because at least driving is a way of sight-seeing, especially when you take little turn offs and side roads. As it turned out I had two days of unexpected rewards, even though I couldn’t experience everything this wonderful route has to offer. I would highly recommend it (reminded me a lot of Scotland)!
Reward 1: Great coastal scenery

Reward 2: Cows in close up (the sheep run away - you'd think it would be easy to get a sheep photo in NZ but it isn't)

Reward 3: A museum cafe in Tuatapere, where all the museum pieces were things I remembered from childhood!! And the food! Oh the food – good hearty home baking.

Reward 4: A petrified forest on the coast (so wild and windy I could hardly hold the camera straight)

Reward 5: The walk to McLean Falls

Reward 6: Nugget Rocks and lighthouse

Reward 7: Dunedin art gallery in a grand building (and Dunedin generally, because by now it was mild and sunny)

Unfortunately despite staying in Invercargill overnight it was so wild and windy and wet I didn’t get to see the gardens and grand architecture that the city is famous for, although i did get a replacement wine glass for the one I broke).
So now it's up the East Coast and a bit inland - Oamaru, Lake Tekapo, Geraldine.

No comments:

Post a Comment