Friday, October 15, 2010

Solo Senior the Ice Queen in glacier territory

I spent a night (unplanned) in Hokitika on the way down the west coast to the glaciers. Hokitika is an interesting place – a lot of art and craft, some history and a wonderful place to watch the sunset. The motor camp was also cheaper than Franz Josef’s with the latter being one of those annoying Top 10 camps that charge the double rate for a single. The lady in the FJ park said to me that they charge extra for more than two people, so my question of course is, why don’t they have a reduced rate for a solo traveller? Solo discrimination!
Franz Josef Glacier
Two days spent around Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers were rewarding, although I was a bit disappointed by FJ – a long walk to a dirty pile of ice.




Peter's pool FJ Glacier













Maybe I preferred Fox because I did a half day glacier walk – although the 800 steps to climb before reaching the ice access point didn’t make me all that happy. I had to trot out the “I’m 60 and slow but I’ll get there, and despite being red in the face I am not having a heart attack” line. However, well worth the effort and produced some good photos.


Fox Glacier


No comments:

Post a Comment