Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Eight more 'spishal things about New Zealand

1.     Rolling surf and snow capped mountains in the same vista (eg at Hokitika on the West Coast)
2.     Walking on a high path cut into a cliff, in dense forest but with the ocean lapping way below (eg Abel Tasman Coastal track)
3.     The colours of the sea around Kaiteriteri – grey, silver, light blue, aquamarine, deep green
4.     Whitebait fritters and Greenlip mussels
5.     The sunset at Hokitika

6.     You can go into a shop with no intention to buy and people will still chat to you and give you tips on local things to do
7.     The food tastes like Australian food used to. For example, lamb has a more intense flavour, apples are crunchy and juicy, cakes and bickys are real home baked flavour
8.     There is a photo almost around every corner

2 comments:

  1. I cannot tell you how much I am enjoying reading your blog! I have been to NZ 3 times and am looking forward to a 4th and your stories and photos are bringing back such wonderful memories. I am close to your age and have traveled there solo, each time - but never considered a motor home jaunt... Now I shall! Thank you for sharing your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this has been a treat to read! My husband and I are heading to NZ, mostly the South Island, in two weeks, and I'll be celebrating my 60th bd there. Thanks for such a terrific preview of a much anticipated trip.

    ReplyDelete